Thursday, June 19, 2008

Customer Service

What can I say? It sucks these days.

Usually, I'm pretty indifferent toward, well, indifferent service. Maybe I'm used to it. But there are times when the staff is just incompetent, lazy, rude, or all three. Take today, for example:

I went to a certain department store (who shall remain nameless) to make a return. Well, I went straight to the customer service desk, where returns are usually dealt with. Well, I got to my designated spot in line, smiled and waited patiently. One woman was already busy with another customer. Fine. Another woman fiddled with her stapler, chatted with another coworker on the side, and basically waddled her ass around, pretty much ignoring me all the while. No: "Do you need some help, ma'am?" No: "I'll be right with you." I got nothing. After 7 minutes, I decide to write down the number of the district manager when this woman looks up and smiles at me. Only 2 seconds later do I realize that she is not smiling at me, but rather, at two other women who decide to go straight to the customer service desk, where they are promptly helped with friendliness. After about 10 minutes, when this woman finishes up, does she help me? Nope. She continues to flutter around, doing nothing. At that point, I got pissed. I put the number of the district manager on my phone and proceeded to leave, when the other cashier, who had just finished up her business with her customer, asked if she could help me. I said, "I have been waiting for a while, and she let them cut in front of me." Now the woman decides to speak to me! She says, quite curtly, "They had to go to another part of the store and find something for me to fix. They were already here." Whatever, asshole. I tell the friendly cashier, "I need to make a return." The cashier tells me, "I'm sorry, we're no longer doing returns right now." Now I'm really pissed. I practically yell, "Just forget it!" And I storm out, reaming out the district manager on the phone all the while.

This is my philosophy: you have a job to do, and it is your responsibility to do that job. If you don't like it, find something else or suck it the hell up. We all had to do it, you're no different.

And to my fellow customers: if you don't like the way a business is treating you (and how it takes your hard-earned money for granted), take action! Let the higher-ups know how you feel! Contact the managers, write onion letters (which detail poor experiences) to the corporate offices, and quit wasting your time and money there. And, if you have to, warn your friends and loved ones about the shitty experiences you've had there! Don't be discouraged about big businesses, either. Without the customer loyalty, any business is doomed! I mean, look at Burger King! They used to be great, now they've turned to pure vomitrocious shit! Look, the point is, if you hate the way that you and your money are being treated, and you continue to go to the same place over and over and over again, and if their customer service methods haven't changed, you are partly to blame for keeping them alive. A business with a strong desire to stay in business will do anything to keep you happy. And any business who could care less, well, they'll just have to deal with the consequences.

If, on the other hand, you've had a great experience somewhere, again, let them know! Commend the employee, the managers, and the corporate offices. Write orchid letters (letters that detail great experiences). Recommend the place of business to your family and friends. Businesses love customer loyalty. So much, in fact, that many of them will offer you special perks like discounts, coupons, freebies, and some will even let you know about new merchandise, specials, et al. before most of the general public. Encourage these businesses to keep up the good work by continuing your support and loyalty.

Use your money wisely. End rant.

No comments: